Ground Zero

10:20


Hello lovelies, I hope your week is going well and everything is peachy. My last post on travel was about my trip to New York City! I had loads of fun and if you haven't read it then I suggest that you go do that. While I was strutting the streets of NYC I visited the memorial site for the World Trade Centre. If you've never heard of it then firstly slap yourself on your hand, and secondly I will give you a back story. 


Not my photo.

On September 11, 2001 a few planes were hijacked by Al-Qaeda in the United States. One plane flew into the Pentagon, the second plane crashed (believed to be headed for the White House), and two other planes were flown into the Twin Towers or World Trade Centre. As you can imagine this was a horrible day not only for the United States, but also for many other countries. Approximately 3000 souls were killed on that tragic day. People of all walks of life, fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, sons and daughters. Not only civilians lost their lives, so did the brave Firefighters, Police Officers, Paramedics and unknown heroes that spent their lives saving others from the inferno of hell. They will forever be heroes in my book. 


New Towers under construction.

When I discovered that we were going to Ground Zero I was thrilled beyond belief. I was six or seven during 9/11 and I remember it clear as day. I had always wanted to see the remnants of that tragic day, and honour those lives that were lost. The day that we decided to go and visit was the only day on the trip that was overcast. Sullen clouds hung from the sky, perfect for such a somber moment.


When you first walk in there is a registration area that has photos of the World Trade Centre before the attacks, and afterwards. Then you are sent outside down a long fenced corridor beyond of which there is construction on the new towers. 




When you first make it into the memorial site there are trees and cute little gardens dotting the site. As you walk farther in you see two memorial pools, that were the Twin Towers bases. Along each pool they have memorialised each person that was killed in the Pentagon, during the plane crash, and at both Towers. 




Mourners placed flowers amongst dozens of names.


It was really something to see and experience. You would think because your in the middle of New York City that noise would be everywhere, but all you could hear was the hum of the pools. Visiting Ground Zero and paying my respects to all those souls was my favourite part of my trip to New York City. All lives are important, and no one has the right to decide who lives or dies. Until my next post, stay safe! 







You Might Also Like

0 comments

Leave me a comment on each post so I know what you guys think, or want to see! :)

Popular Posts